Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy February

Yay! It's February! My least favorite month is over! Poor January. It really does get the short end of the stick. It's not like February is much better. It has Valentine's Day, if you're into that sort of thing, but it's still not a month I particularly jump for joy about. The best thing it has going for it is that it is shorter than January. (Though it is an entire day longer this year, which seems unnecessary. If you're going to add a day to a month every four years, could you at least pick a fun month?) 

It's not January's fault. January tries. The problem is, when you come after a month like December, you have a hard act to follow. Some people love the month, especially after the non-stop holidays, celebrations, parties, and planning of the weeks leading up to it, but I've never enjoyed the severe let down of January after weeks of good music, food, decorations, and family. I feel like there should be a step down program or something. I don't do well quitting cold turkey. You go from joy to the world and bright lights to considerably duller decor and everyone and their mother messaging you about how fat you must have gotten over the holidays. 

Anyways, poor January is over now, and February is here. One month into 2016, and where am I? I go between really enjoying being here and being ready for orders. I truly love Colorado Springs. I could see putting roots down here, but we're in a horrible limbo right now where we know change is coming but not when we'll know or where we might be going, and it's hard to feel like I can even hang up a picture much less plant sturdy roots. I feel isolated and alone many days. I love going out and doing stuff with my family. I love being home with my family. I miss my people though, the people who loved me for all I am, (even the warty parts) and wish that I could invite them all over like we used to.

Speaking of my people, our best friend is coming to visit! The tickets have officially been bought and everything, and Jonathan and his son, Trenton, will be here in April. I am so excited. It will be just shy of three years since we've been able to see them by the time they get here, and we just can't wait. Jonathan is family. Our brother from another mother. Our babies call his mama "Mimi", and he's "Uncle Ivy", and I can't wait for the busy days and long nights we'll have when they are here.

Two months and counting...Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

School is closed tomorrow, and Parker is so bummed out. I wish they'd stop doing snow days on Tuesdays.

Anyone want to come over to the blanket fort and color? I'll have wine. (And, yes, I am excited enough about this warmer that I'm blogging about it! It's going to be so much fun!)



No comments: