Friday, May 9, 2014

The Gender Prediction Project Two: Part Three

Here we are again! A little over 5 months until my EDD, I am 18 weeks today, and most of my fellow October mommies who are finding out already know if they have a little laddie or lass in there. (And the ones who want to know but don't yet are chomping at the bit!) I still have about 22 weeks to go before we find out if we're welcoming another Mr. or a Miss., but that just means I have 22 more weeks to continue with these funky prediction methods!



Rapunzel! Rapunzel!

If you guessed that this prediction might have to do with your hair, you're right. :) As legend tells it, little girls will take, take, take, specifically all the vitamins and minerals that your hair needs to be shiny, lush, and beautiful. my theory is that their own locks will be full and flowing at birth, because you know how much newborn girls care about that kind of thing. They take, take, take, and leave you with dry, broken hair without any volume. Not even color in some cases. It sad, really. Boys, because they naturally love their mothers more, do everything they can to be sure that you have full, shining, flowing locks that will make every passerby stop and stare in awe and envy. 

Parker was a vain one, and he has the beautiful, thick curls to prove it. My pregnancy with him destroyed my hair. Granted, it was growing faster than Usain Bolt, but it also looked like clumps of dried grass in the lawn. It was gross, and I ended up cutting off about 12 inches of it after he was born. Sebastian was a little kinder. It didn't grow as quickly at all, but it looked better than usual. So, it was incorrect with Parker, but correct with Bash. So far, this one has a 50% accuracy rate for us. This time around I haven't really noticed a difference in my hair. I have gray hairs this time, which is a first, (Sebastian can and will take credit for those.) and things are a little dryer than usual, but I think that's just the difference in climate here in Colorado. Since my hair doesn't look like it should be shucked by the local farmers and fed to the horses, I'm going to call this one another prediction for a boy this time. 


Oval or Heart?

Did you know that your bone structure and the unique way that each woman stores water and fat in her face has nothing to do with the shape of your face? It's all about your baby's sex. If you are rosy, round, and full during pregnancy you will be having a rosy little girl! Have a longer, more oval shaped face? A little boy is on the way!

Believe it or not, this was 100% correct with both boys, and once again my face is slimming out with this pregnancy, which would mean we are predicted another little boy this time.


To Key or Not to Key?

That is the question. Or maybe not. I haven't yet figured out how the manner in which a woman picks up a key has anything to do with the sex of her unborn child, but that is the basis of this old wive's tale. If you pick up a single key by it's fatter end (which is the correct way to do it, of course) you can expect a little boy. If you would be a person who picked up their key by the skinny end (who does that?) you are welcoming a little girl. If you pick it up in the dead center you might be expecting twins...Or something. 

This is one of those tales with 100% accuracy that I still think is crazy. Because, seriously, who decides that the way you pick up your keys determines your baby's sex? However, on the off chance that there is some merit to this claim, it would mean that I am predicted another boy this time around...and for all my children, because picking up a key by the skinny part would just feel wrong to me. 


Sweet or Sour?

Cravings. Every pregnant woman has them. Every pregnant woman can understand them. I've heard people who say that they are in our heads, or that they are our body's way of getting essential vitamins that we are lacking (though I highly doubt that there is much nutritional value to Sour Patch Kids, which was a huge craving during the early weeks of my pregnancy with Bash), but it doesn't really matter. If you are pregnant, regardless of reason, they are a reality, and one that can help you determine the sex of that little baby growing inside of you if you believe what the old wives say. 

Little girls are made of "sugar and spice and everything nice", which apparently comes from their mommies craving sweets during their pregnancy. However, if you are craving things that are lip-puckering sour, you can expect a little boy. (Though the insinuation that girls are sweet and boys are sour is completely off in my opinion! Perhaps an old wife had some really rotten little lads in her house.) I have two very sweet little boys in my house, though I craved fruit like my life depended on it with my oldest (craving strawberries in mid winter in Idaho is not ideal), and I would have gladly killed people for a bag of Sour Patch Kids during parts of my pregnancy with my youngest. So far, this one has only had a 50% accuracy rate for us, and I'm finding it a little difficult to call this time.

I can't say that I've been craving especially sweet or sour things this time around. I still enjoy fruit, but I'm not craving it the same way that I was with the boys. I haven't craved much of anything actually. I still just feel *blech* most of the time to be honest, but when I do crave things they seem to be more savory things and red meat. A little bit of research tells me that this is also supposed to predict another little boy for us in October.



I think that is enough for now. Today's predictions seem to lean heavily towards another little boy joining our household come October. As a matter of fact, all four of today's predictions are for a little boy. Adding these to our other old wive's tale predictions so far, we have 9 predictions for a little boy and 6 predictions for a little girl. Boys are in the lead, but it's still early. We have 5 more months to see if we can even the odds a little bit. :)

Remember, if you have any ideas of prediction methods I can use, leave them in the comments. I'll be sure to try as many as possible before Bean arrives in October.

Sneaky Momma Blog Design

*Disclaimer: This, and all posts for The Gender Prediction Project, is something I am doing for fun. I am not a doctor, and I make no claims that these methods of sex prediction work. This should in no way shape or form be taken seriously. Please do not go out and buy clothes, furniture, toys, paint, or wallpaper based on any of the prediction methods you see here. These blog posts should be taken with a grain of salt, and if you choose to participate in them along with me, realize that there is no way to know the sex of your baby 100% until they are in your arms and you are looking at the evidence with your own two eyes. Even ultrasounds can be wrong, so join in at your own risk! ;) Happy predicting!*

Photobucket

No comments: