Friday, May 23, 2014

The Gender Prediction Project Two: Part Four. The Chinese Gender Chart

I am 20 weeks pregnant today! (Though the doctors don't agree with me based on my LMP and the baby's measurements, but I figure I know what I was doing when a little better than they do. ;) Besides, Dr. K, my amazing RE back in Boise, did an early ultrasound that was right on with my dates, so that is what I am sticking with. Their dates have me further along, but I'm sticking with the October 10th due date.) I think it only appropriate that a big milestone like the "half way" point in a pregnancy deserves a big post. So I have reserved this entire GPP post to the infamous Chinese Gender Chart!

Oh Lord. Here we go again. The amazing, mysterious, awe inspiring Chinese Gender Chart. There is no way that I could avoid including this in The Gender Prediction Project. There are so many different "versions" of this chart out there that I really do need to dedicate an entire post to them like I did last time. These are all the charts that popped up on the first page of a Google search done over three years ago. There might be some new ones I haven't tried yet, and I might do another post dedicated to those, but for now I am going to re-do the ones that I did before.

For anyone not familiar with the Chinese Gender Chart, "legend" says that it is over 700 years old and well over 90% accurate...when used "correctly". Correctly means that you calculate your lunar age for many of the charts, though not all of them seem to require this on the Internet, and some of them claim to calculate your lunar age for you. It was "recently" discovered in an ancient, royal tomb in China, and has been accurately predicting genders all over the globe since then! Let's see how it does with mine. I will be doing all of them exactly how they direct you to on the web pages, though I might go ahead and calculate my lunar age for the ones that don't ask for it.

Here we go!



A very simple chart to use, all you have to do on Parents in answer two simple questions before they tell you if you are having a boy or a girl. It predicted correctly that my oldest was a boy, but incorrectly said that our youngest son should have been a girl.

With an accuracy rate of only 50%, I decided not to try too terribly hard when the site rejected my e-mail and password (which you annoyingly have to type in each time you want to use this chart). I figure it would have a less than 50% chance of being right again, and it wasn't worth the headache of retrieving my password and setting up a new one. 



This site was much more intimidating when I first did it three years ago. There were all these things you had to read, conversions to make, steps to follow...math! It was something I did only in the name of "science". However, all my hard work proved worth it when this chart was accurate with both boys. 

Three years later and they have changed the site a lot, and all they require you to do is type in your birthday and your EDD. Easy peasy, and the chart with 100% accuracy last time is again predicting that we will have a little boy come October. 



You have to calculate your lunar age and the lunar month you conceived in in order to do this chart. They give you a couple of easy links to do this with though. According to those links, my lunar age was 31 at conception (screw you, lunar age), and the lunar month was the 12th month. (Don't ask me how it's figured out. I don't get it either.) 

This chart has a 0% accuracy rate for us so far. It predicted that our two little gents should be little ladies. This time around it actually predicts a little boy for us, so maybe it means a little girl? Your guess is as good as mine, and they would both probably be better than this chart. 



Thank goodness for another chart that only requires me to enter a few simple clicks about my age and month I conceived! You don't even have to run your mouse across the lines to figure out what you're expecting, as the kind people at The Bump highlight it for you, proudly showing a pink or blue swaddled little with a voice bubble saying "Hi, Mom!". 

This chart has previously had a 50-100% accuracy rating for us, depending on if I used my lunar age or not. (They do not ask you to use it, so I have no idea if it is required.) This time around it says we will be having a little boy if I type in just the information they ask for. To be confusing I typed in using my lunar age and month, which determines that we will be having a little girl. Last time, this chart was correct using my lunar age, so maybe we have a little lady on her way. 



Another simple chart that doesn't ask for your lunar age. (Though I did it both ways.) You don't even have to type anything in. Just look at the color coded chart to figure out if you have a boy or girl in your near future. Using my actual age and lunar age this chart was correct with our oldest. It was incorrect using actual age with our little man, but it was accurate when I used my lunar age. 

So, this is another chart that has between 50-100% accuracy depending on how you do it. This time around it says we'll have a boy if I use my real age, but a girl if I use my lunar age. I'm 100% sure that it will be one or the other. 



Simple, simple, simple...or so it would seem at first glance. Just run your finger down the table and you will see what you're growing. Using my actual ages with the boys is was accurate with our oldest but incorrect with the little man. To confuse the situation even more though, I used my lunar age with was incorrect with both boys. 

The accuracy is between 0-50% with this test, but I still did it again this time. With both my actual age and my lunar age About.com predicts a little boy in October. I don't think About knows what it's talking about. 



This site is a two for one, giving two different options of determining your baby's gender. There is the Baby Gender Predictor and the Ancient Chinese Lunar Calendar. Do one, do both, don't do either if you don't want to. I, personally, did both. All in the name of science, you understand. :)

It's a little different then it was last time, when one had a 0-50% accuracy rate and the other 100%, but the Baby Gender Predictor predicts a little boy this time around, and the Ancient Chinese Lunar Calendar also predicts a little boy using both lunar and actual ages. Looks like everything is blue over at thelaboroflove. :)



I'm pretty sure that this chart is complete hookie. It asks for the mother's age at the time of birth instead of conception, which is the only chart I've seen that does that. It claims a 99% accuracy rate, but we haven't found that to be true either. Still, it's a simple chart to do, and I couldn't leave it out of the research.

This chart has a 50% accuracy rate for us so far, and is predicting a little boy for us again this time. We'll see, but I don't buy it webwomb. 



This one is easy as long as you already know your lunar age. If not, there are a couple of links above that will show you what your lunar age is to use in this chart. Given the fact that this chart has a 0% accuracy rate with us currently, I won't be rushing out to buy a bunch of blue based on it's prediction of a little boy. (Let's be honest, my husband might not let me buy any new clothes if we're having another boy. We have bins and bins of boy clothes already!)



This one is different. This is the only chart that asks for the age of the mother and the father at conception. Since it is generally accepted that the gender comes from the father's genes, you would think this would happen more, but nope. Just here at babygendertool. It's very simple to use, an even gives you a list of the top 20 most popular names for your baby's gender.

This chart only has a 50% accuracy, but it predicts another little boy in our near future. 



Don't worry if you weren't keeping track. I was. Out of the many different "Chinese Gender Calendars" I did in this post, a whopping eight predicted a boy, while only two predicted a girl. Those two actually only predicted a girl if I used my lunar age (which wasn't required on those specific charts), so if you take that out of the equation it would actually mean that all ten charts I was able to do this time predicted for a boy. Either way, that's a pretty strong push for blue, Chinese Gender Chart!

This means that our current count to date is seventeen predictions for a little boy in comparison to eight predictions for a little girl. The Chinese Gender Charts shoved team blue into an impressive lead, but only time will tell how accurate any of these are. Despite the overwhelming trend towards team blue, I'm still not going to go crazy buying boy patterned cloth diapers yet. :)

Until next time, happy predicting!

Sneaky Momma Blog Design

*Disclaimer: This, and all posts for The Gender Prediction Project, is something I am doing for fun. I am not a doctor, and I make no claims that these methods of sex prediction work. This should in no way shape or form be taken seriously. Please do not go out and buy clothes, furniture, toys, paint, or wallpaper based on any of the prediction methods you see here. These blog posts should be taken with a grain of salt, and if you choose to participate in them along with me, realize that there is no way to know the sex of your baby 100% until they are in your arms and you are looking at the evidence with your own two eyes. Even ultrasounds can be wrong, so join in at your own risk! ;) Happy predicting!*

Photobucket

No comments: