Friday, May 2, 2014

The Gender Prediction Project Two: Part Two

It's that time again! Time for another fun edition of The Gender Prediction Project, brought to you by the number 13 and the letters H, M, P, S, and B! Excited yet? Me too. Let's get predicting!



Heart Rate Gender Predictor

After hearing both of the boys by 10 weeks along, it seemed like an eternity before we got to hear Bean's heartbeat. We finally heard it during my first appointment here in Colorado, which wasn't until almost 15 weeks, and they only let us listen for about 45 seconds (because apparently they don't usually listen to the heartbeat at the appointments...), but when we did get to hear him/her the heartbeat was strong and thumping along at 150-155. According to the all knowing Old Wives a heart rate of 140 or higher means that you will have a little girl, while a heart rate lower than 140 means that a little boy is growing stronger in there.

This is one of those prediction methods that has been wrong for more people that I have talked to then it has been right for. It was certainly incorrect for Parker, whose heart rate was never below 140 until labor. It was also incorrect for Sebastian, except for one time when it was in the 120s. His ranged all the way up to the 190s at points, though it averaged in the 150s for his pregnancy. With a heart rate of 150-155, Bean is also supposed to be a little girl, but with a 0% accuracy rate so far I'm not making any bets on it.


Family History

Family history is very important. It tells you where you come from. It can tell you some medical issues to watch out for. And apparently it can tell you if you are pregnant with a little boy or a little girl. ;) What did you mother have and in what order? That will tell you what you are going to have. If you are the oldest, as the story goes, you will have what your mother had starting with her second child. If you are the middle child, you will have what your mother had starting with her third child. If you are the last child you will have what she had in the exact same order. Confused yet? Let me give you an example. 

I am the oldest of three live births. After me came my brother and then my sister. According to this method of gender predicting, I should have a son first and then two daughters, if I chose to have three children. I don't know how it works if you have more than three or if your mother had multiple losses, but if you look at this on surface value, this was correct with my oldest. However, when my second child was a boy it proved to be incorrect

I guess that, technically, this old wive's tale has about a 50% accuracy rate for us, and it's predicting a girl this time, but I'm not holding my breath. Considering the gender is determined by the father I don't see what my mother has to do with it. I'm sure she wished she did have more control over it, but well see.


Necklace Over Your Palm

Very much like the ring over your belly, dangling a necklace over your hand is also said to be able to predict, not only your current pregnancy, but the gender of all your children in the order you will have them. If the necklace swings back and forth you will have a boy, but if it moves in a circular motion you will have a girl. The necklace doesn't even have to be stopped between predictions. It will do one thing for awhile, stop its self, they go on to the next motion. You can do this for as long as you'd like and predict your children's genders up to 20, 30, 40, or beyond if you are feeling super frisky. ;) I have people that have sworn up, down, and sideways that this is 100% correct, so I tried it during my last pregnancy. You can't beat 100%, right?

I let it go on for quite awhile. It was correct in predicting my oldest son, but incorrect when it then predicted a daughter for my youngest son. It then predicted another boy, another boy, and finally a girl before I stopped it. Instead of doing it again, I'm just going to go with last time's predictions. No reason to get too confusing.

This method of prediction only has a 50% accuracy rate for us, and it is predicting a little boy this time around. Of course, maybe last time it started with the pregnancy I was on, which would mean now is when I'll get my girl. Or this is all just for fun, so who cares, really? :)


Morning Sickness

This one couldn't be easier. If you have little to no morning sickness you are blessed, hated, and expecting a son. If you have taken up residence in the bathroom, with a pillow and blanket tucked neatly against the toilet in an attempt at an illusion of comfort, a baby girl is coming! If this was true, I think people would spend a lot of time hoping for many, many sons. :) However, this was incorrect with my oldest son, who had me rather sick until 20 weeks or so. It was super incorrect with my youngest son, who literally had me throwing up before I even had a positive test and up to and through delivery. 

This time I felt great when I found out I was pregnant. I wasn't tired, I wasn't nauseous, it was wonderful. I had some gas, some tummy troubles, and started cramping much earlier than usual, but I wasn't sick, which was a whole new experience. That means little boy, right? However, by 6-7 weeks I was becoming very familiar with my old friend "Toilet" again, which would mean that we can expect a little girl. I'm still feeling nauseous on and off, but I'm hoping it will taper off well before I deliver, but with a 0% accuracy rate for us so far, I'm not sure that it matters on way or the other. Except that I might like to experience a pregnancy without excessive vomiting at some point. :) 


Cold Feet

It's too late to back out now, Mama! You're in this for the long haul. However, if you are having cold feet at this point, it could help you determine the gender of your new little one. According to the old wives, the colder your feet, the better your chance at a son. If your piggies are the same temperature they have always been a little girl is on her way. 

This was incorrect with my oldest son, but correct with my youngest, whose pregnancy actually turned my toes into tiny ice cubes. This is another of those 50% accuracy tests for me, and it's predicting a little boy for us again. However, I have just been super cold this past winter, (which is very unusual for me) so that could be swaying the test in the wrong direction.



That's all for this post. In this one we have two boy predictions vs. three girl predictions. All together that is five for team blue and six for team pink. If you have any methods of prediction you would like to see me try, let me know. I'll be doing this until sometime in October. :)

Sneaky Momma Blog Design

*Disclaimer: This, and all posts for The Gender Prediction Project, is something I am doing for fun. I am not a doctor, and I make no claims that these methods of sex prediction work. This should in no way shape or form be taken seriously. Please do not go out and buy clothes, furniture, toys, paint, or wallpaper based on any of the prediction methods you see here. These blog posts should be taken with a grain of salt, and if you choose to participate in them along with me, realize that there is no way to know the sex of your baby 100% until they are in your arms and you are looking at the evidence with your own two eyes. Even ultrasounds can be wrong, so join in at your own risk! ;) Happy predicting!*

Photobucket

No comments: