Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kiss Me, Damn It!

I know, I always say it, but I need to blog more. The cooler, more put together me in my head has time. Of course, she also has a clean house, perfect children, a rocking wardrobe, dinner on the table promptly at 5:30 every night, and time to put on make-up every morning. I'm working on being that me, but until then, I think I'll start with just trying to blog more. I told hubby I need his help so that I can have at least a day a week to blog, and he said he'll try. :0) We'll see. 

It's been a rough couple of weeks. Sebastian has recently decided that he is going on a sleeping strike, or at least, a bedroom strike. I have no idea why, it happened over night, but he has started screaming if we try to put him in his crib. I don't mean fussing, I mean "Oh God, giant dentist spiders are crawling into my bed intent on ripping out my teeth!" screaming. I have never heard anything like it, and it doesn't stop. We have tried all the "tricks", and it just ends up with us bringing him in our bed and waiting until he falls asleep to very carefully take him back to his bed. And, if for some reason he wakes up in the middle of the night, he is right back in our bed. It's like that for nap times too, and the result is two tired parents and a very exhausted toddler. We are going to take him to the pedi to see if there is something going on like an ear infection or reflux, but I honestly don't think that is it. Wish I could figure it out. I'm starting to think these dark circles might become permanent. 

For all the "rough" moments though, there are at least a dozen great moments, and we've had more than our fair share of those this week too. One of the neatest things is Sebastian's new "Kiss me, damn it!" attitude. One of the downfalls of being the second sibling is that you never are the "only". From the time you emerge from the womb, you will always be competing with someone for the attention of your parents. Sometimes, like when you are a tiny and new and giving those first, gummy baby grins, you will win. Sometimes, like when your older sibling decides to try and fly from the roof of the shed holding nothing but an umbrella, you will most certainly lose the competition for attention. 

We adore both of our boys, almost obsessively, and we certainly try our best to divide our attention equally, but it isn't always possible, as any parents out there who have more than one child will know. This will sometimes make for a meeker, quieter second child. A child content to sit in the shadow of their older sibling and patiently wait their turn for the love and snuggles. 

Not our child. 

Sebastian is every bit as stubborn as his brother, and, if his older brother will not willingly share the spotlight, Sebastian is more than willing to get his hands dirty to get his share. His most recent display of this has been titled "Kiss me, damn it." by an overly amused Mommy. He crawls in your lap and waits patently for all of about 20 seconds. If you do not give him the attention he then feels he is deserving, no matter if you are paying attention to Parker or the TV or talking on the phone, he then grabs your face and, with a force I imagine would be equal to that of the Hulk, turns it towards him and plants a huge, messy kiss right on your lips. He will then do this over and over again, until he is sure you are not going to go back to whatever it was you were doing in the first place, and then he will proceed to tell you whatever it was he wanted to say, in his impressive baby babble, all while keeping your face in his hands and his eyes only inches from yours. If you show signs of distraction, say you shift your eyes slightly, he will then start kissing you roughly again until you are fully his once more. 

I love it. In fact, I confess that I sometimes will look away just to get more kisses, even if I am fully paying attention to him. I haven't seen him do it to Daddy yet, so I am just going along with the thought process that I am obviously special. It couldn't be that I am just here more often, right? 

Of course, this usually starts a kissing war, especially if the original recipient of my attention had been Parker, and I usually end up in the middle of two little bodies clamoring for rights to my face where they each plant as many smooches as possible. I have to say, I quite enjoy it. Sometimes Daddy even gets involved, loudly declaring that Mommy is his, at which point the littles join forces to fight off their father and reclaim Mommy for their own.  

I pretty much love my life. Even when I am exhausted. I'm one lucky lady.

Photobucket

No comments: