Friday, August 8, 2014

Happy First Birthday, Rowan Arya!


One of the worst parts about living away from family is that you miss out on moments. Family moments. Growing up these were always the moments where I imagined the family together. Grandparents, great-grandparents, cousins, siblings, parents, etc. all huddled together to share joy, comfort, support...I certainly never imagined giving birth or celebrating birthdays without my family right there by my side, but that is our reality for now. And sometimes it really sucks.

Last year I was on the phone, instead of standing in the hospital hallway, anxiously awaiting the first cries of our new niece, Rowan Arya. Rowan is our fourth niece, but the first from my side of the family. She's the first granddaughter on my side, and the first born of my baby brother, Storm. 

She is also Michael and my first Godchild! 

10 years ago I never would have imagined being over 2,000 miles away when my brother's first baby came into this world, but it's where we were. And it sucked. But if there is one thing I have learned over the years, it is that you really can share in that joy, no matter where you are. Especially with all the technology these days, it might not be quite as good as being right there, but it's pretty darn close! 

And my family certainly knows how to make the best of what we have. I might have had to be pretty far away for most of her life so far, but my family has made sure that we get to experience the big moments too. I am so very thankful for that! 

Today, Rowan turns one year old. We might not be there to eat cake with her, but we are there in spirit. And, thanks to my amazing Grandmama, we got to experience the event right along with them. It was almost as good as being there.

Almost.

Happy birthday, Rowan! I hope you have an amazing day, and I can't wait to see you again very, very soon! We're sending all our love from Colorado! (Tell Mommy and Daddy that they will have to come out and visit sometime next year! Budget for it!)


With Daddy and Cousin Alex!

 Rowan with Daddy and Mommy.



My mind is completely blown that she could possibly be one already! I imagine she'll be dating before we know it. (Don't tell her Mommy and Daddy!) 


Because of the amazing birthdays we have in August, I'm a couple of weeks behind on Gender Prediction Project posts, but I will have the next one up soon. Remember to go and vote with your prediction at our online baby poll too. Be a part of the system. ;)

Photobucket

No comments: