Friday, April 13, 2012

P90X Week 1

Yes, I've done it. Decided to tackle P90X. I have no idea what I was thinking, except that I am tired of being sad and angry every time I look in the mirror. (And quite a bit of the between times too.) No, I don't just sit on the couch stuffing my face. I have numerous health issues and numerous doctors have dropped the ball. I am not the only reason I am this way. But I am the only person who can get me to a healthy place. The people who have neglected to get me what I need medically are not going to be the ones kicking my own butt to get me to where I want and need to be. I have to put all my anger at them behind me and realize that I'm the only person who can pick me up.

Luckily, I have some amazing support in my husband and boys. Somehow, killing myself in a workout is so much easier when my almost 3 year old is next to me doing all the moves and chanting "Go, Mommy, go! Go, Mommy, go!"

So, p90X it is...because trying Insanity might actually kill me. Maybe after a round or two of P90X I'll tackle it, but not now. Can't let my ego get in the way. :0)

I'm going to keep track of my weeks here too. I think it will be a good way to keep myself on track, and it will also be fun to look back at my lamenting certain parts of the program when I am doing them with no issues in a few months. :0) It will be nice to look back on how far I have come. 

I wish I were there now. :0)



Week 1 Weight:
No, I'm not posting this. I took it. I have it written down, and it is seared into my brain. Trust me. No reason to share it here. Maybe one day, but not now. I'm not ready for that. 


Friday April, 6, 2012
Week 1, Day 1: 
I'm actually feeling pretty good. I'm a little sore, and I'm not sure exactly how I am going to wash my hair when I can't even lift my arms over my head, but I'll manage. :0) I'm actually kind of worried that I'm not lying on the floor in a puddle of my own vomit and sweat...fees like I should be if this is doing what it is supposed to be doing...but Michael says I did great. I have to trust him. He's helped me modify some of the moves that I just can't do right now, but that is OK too. I have to do what I can do. I'm giving it 100%, and that is the most important part, right?


Saturday April, 7, 2012
Week 1, Day 2:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Oh for the love of God, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Plyometrics, how I hate you! Today sucked. Oh how it sucked. My legs, my lungs, my everything hurts. By the end of the hour, I could barely move, much less do that wonderful little jumps and spins they expected from me, but I didn't quit. I managed. And I finished. I'm proud. My face is also some horrible shade of purple, and I think Michael was convinced I was actually dying. I spent a great part of the hour panting out "I can't. I can't" while I bounced and jumped and spun...but I did it. Thank God, I did it. And I don't have to do it again for a week. There is always a bright side!


Sunday April, 8, 2012
Week 1, Day 3:
After yesterday, I was actually looking forward to today. At least I wouldn't be jumping, lunging, bouncing, and turning purple. I started out with 10lb weights and was really pleased with how I was doing. I wasn't hitting the exact number of reps I would like, but I was close and consistent, which is good too. I was about half way through when I had to go down in weights drastically, and that bums me out. A lot. Michael insists that it is the fact that I keep going and not the weight that matters, and by the end I have to say he's right. I might have had tiny weights in my hands, (2lbs to be exact), but I could feel the work out. And the thought of having more weight actually made me wince. I'm doing it! I might have to modify some things and I might be exhausted, but I'm doing it! Three days down. Only eighty-seven to go!


Monday April, 9, 2012
Week 1, Day 4:
I hurt myself yesterday. The rest of my body is sore, but I strained something in my right arm. I haven't been able to fully extend it all day, but I wasn't ready to quit. Michael rubbed it out for me and I jumped into today with both feet, thinking that since it was Yoga I would probably be able to baby my arm quite a bit.

Well, I was wrong. The first 45 minutes were all moves and positions that relied heavily on my ability to extend my arms out and put weight on them. So, there were a lot of modifications. I did every move to the best of my ability, and if there was one that I 100% couldn't manage I would repeat a move that I could do. I'm not pleased with the number of modifications I had to do, but I didn't want to skip a day, and doing something is better than nothing.

Once we were done with that, the last 45 minutes went much better. I have more balance and flexibility that I thought I did. I was proud of myself, and felt more relaxed than I usually do. Like, ever. The Yoga even helped stretch out my arm a bit, though it started to tighten up again badly after I was done. To the point where I was worried that I might have zero mobility by morning. After a ton of water, another long massage, and a hot shower I have more mobility now and am hoping it will feel even better tomorrow. I'm proud for working through the pain.

And tomorrow is legs and back, so hopefully I can baby my arm a little longer. :0)


Tuesday April, 10, 2012
Week 1, Day 5:
My arm felt much better today. Still very sore, and I still have to work to extend it all the way, but I would say it's mending. Still, it made even my modified pull-ups interesting to watch I am sure. But I got it done! I'm sore and tired and there isn't a muscle in my body that isn't aching, even ones I didn't know I had, but I am doing it. I'm pretty proud of myself. Even more so because I didn't fall on my ass during the on the wall squats. It was a close thing. I imagine my legs will be all kinds of ouchie tomorrow. With all the lunges I've done in the last 5 days, I'm already having issues sitting down and standing up, but I'm doing it. And I'm not even as bad as I had thought I would be, nor am I having to modify as much as I had anticipated. I'm proud, and that is a foreign concept to me. At least to feel about myself. Let's keep it up, Holly!


Wednesday April, 11, 2012
Week 1, Day 6:
Today was a lot of fun! It was all kicking and punching and, as Parker put it, "Kung Foo Panda, Mommy!" This is the kind of work out that, once I reach my goal weight, I could see myself doing daily just to keep healthy and have fun! I'm actually looking forward to next Wednesday. I am still having to baby my right arm a bit, as it is still very stiff, but it's getting better.


Thursday April, 12, 2012
Week 1, Day 7:
Today you had the option to do a stretching DVD or rest, and I chose to rest. Partially because I can feel that my body needs it and partially because I am getting ready for Parker's 3rd birthday party on Saturday and I just didn't have the time today. Why are birthday parties so stressful? They are supposed to be fun, right? Looking forward to getting back at it tomorrow. :0) Week one of P90X, DONE!


Photobucket

No comments: