Friday, November 5, 2010

Big Boy Bed: The Saga Begins

Last night was night one of the "Big Boy Bed". I'd rather not talk about how long it took me to convert the crib into a toddler bed, or the fact that it probably would have taken LONGER without the help of my one year old, (He really did help too! He is so smart!) but it eventually got all set up! Bubba was THRILLED! I was nervous. We were going to wait until after the new year, possibly closer to Spring, before we took him out of his crib, but after he vaulted himself out of his crib on Tuesday I decided that it wasn't worth the risk anymore. We don't have carpet, and we got lucky that he didn't hurt himself more than he did.

After setting up the bed I cleared his room of most toys and anything I thought might create a hazard if he started wandering his room during the night (our hallway is currently very crowded with stuff that I have no where to put...I'm going to have to find a storage place for some of his old baby toys), I set up the baby gate in the doorway, spread the floor near his bed with soft pillows just in case he rolled out during the night, and then started our bedtime routine.

Mommy and Bubba snuggled up together on the floor right next to his new bed to read How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight  (his favorite bed time book), and then he crawled up into his bed to read it back to me. I turned out the lights and we said our prayers (during which he curls up with his head on my shoulder and listens quietly until the end then adds his own little version of "Amen".), and then I tucked him in tight. It was very hard to give him his last kiss and then walk away without looking back. His lip had started to pook out as he realized that Mommy intended to leave him here in this new version of his crib. It's all very well and good for play time, but an entirely different thing when expected to be alone in the dark. I expect it must feel very open and scary.

I listened to him get up and walk around, crying a bit, through the monitor. I went in a(There is, after all, only so long I can hear him cry and call for me before I must answer that call.) Once I was sure he was asleep, then heard a soft thud and tears. Running in I saw his head stuck between the bed and the leg of his huge teddy bear which is next to his bed, his rump in the air, screaming like the world had come to an end. I cuddled him, loved him, and tucked him in again. Not long after that I peeked in to check on him and found him curled up in the middle of the cold floor sound asleep. (I hate not having carpet in our bedrooms!) I picked him up to tuck him back into his bed, waking him for only a moment. Before Daddy went to sleep he peeked in and found Bubba curled up with his blankets and pillows on the floor next to Big Bear.

We let him be. He wasn't directly on the floor, and I didn't want him rolling off again. All in all, I think night one went really well. It only took him about an hour and a half to go to sleep, which was better than I had thought it would be since he could just hop in and out of his bed. He met me this morning, standing at his baby gate with a cheery smile, so I am guessing he slept well. I asked him if he had a good night in his big boy bed, to which he nodded and started telling me all about it in his special Bubba speak. (I understood 'blanket", "bear", "book", "bed", "block", and "up". It sounded like a fun night!)

We went today to buy a railing for the side of the bed, since I really don't want him spending his nights on the floor. Parker can still crawl in and out at will, but if he rolls around at night it will keep him in. Again, I'd rather not talk about how long it took me to get the railing set up. Longer than it should have. I'm usually better than this about putting stuff together.

Tonight went much the same as last night. We read together, then said our prayers and I tucked him in. There were tears, but not as many as last night, and when I went in to check on him about a half an hour later he was curled up in a corner of his big boy bed sound asleep. I'm glad we bought the rail, as I think it's helping him feel more secure, not to mention keeping him from falling out of his bed.

I can't believe that my baby is in a big boy bed! When did this happen? Who told him he was aloud to grow up so fast? It certainly wasn't me! At this rate he'll be driving next month and I'll be dancing with him at his wedding by next Summer!


No comments: