Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mommy Diet

 

I heard somewhere, and I can't for the life of me remember where now, of a mother doing a unique diet. Her rule was very simple...if she wouldn't let her children eat it, she didn't eat it either.

It sounds simple. After all, that is common sense, right? But really think about it. Think about all the things that we might snack on during the day that if our children asked we'd tell them no. Surely if your 3 year old asked for a handful of M&Ms an hour before dinner, we'd say no...but we might snack on that same handful while preparing a simple, healthy dinner. How many times have you ordered them the kids meal with apple slices and milk while you still munch on the fries and pop that comes with your value meal? As grown ups, there are a lot of things we eat and drink throughout the day that we would nix immediately if our children asked for the same thing.

On the reverse of that, how many times have you been so worried about making sure that they get three healthy, square meals a day and then skipped lunch or dinner yourself? 

Now, obviously there are exceptions. A mother with an infant can't be expected to live off of breast milk or formula! A grown adult isn't going to find much satisfaction in a jar of baby food. Still, common sense can be used to say to yourself, "You know, when Junior is 5 if he wanted 3 Oreos and a bowl of Frosted Flakes for lunch, I'd say no." 

I've decided that I'm going to do this as my new Mommy Diet. I have enough working against me to keep healthy with my thyroid and my tumor, I don't need to be adding to it with anything, even something as simple as an extra handful of M&Ms. I've made the commitment to work out every day and only eat things I would say yes to if Parker was asking. (The exception to this will probably be Dr.Pepper...it's like crack to me! But I limit myself to one when I have one.) I also have to get back to the doctor and on my tumor medication...which will make me sick as a dog, but I need it to be as healthy a me as I can be! That and my thyroid are in the hands of God though. What I choose to put into my body are in mine. 

God bless, and thank you for reading!


Photobucket

No comments: