Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Getting Ready For Easter


We've taken a break in all the party planning to prepare for the Easter holidays coming up. (Well, I haven't really taken a break in party planning...I've more just taken on some extra planning for Easter on top of the party planning for his Idaho and Ohio birthdays...)
 
It will be Parker's first Easter. He missed Easter last year by exactly 5 hours and 31 minutes, though he did make sure that I had an enjoyable Easter evening in the hospital, deciding that it would be a perfect time to send Mommy into labor. I had a basket and outfit and everything all set up, just in case my Bunny Boo decided to arrive in time for the holiday, but he was just a little late, so will be celebrating his first Easter on April, 4, 2010.

He will also be having his first chocolate on Easter, since it seemed like a good time to me to experience that particular milestone. Most people think I'm nuts that my almost one year old has yet to taste chocolate. My response is that he will have what he needs in his own time, despite what anyone else thinks. He has also never had cake, and his first will be his birthday cake the day he turns one.

I've been busily putting together a basket for him as well as my nieces. I will have to get theirs in the mail this week so that they will have it in time for the holiday. I miss them, and wish they were here to celebrate Easter with us! I think organizing an egg hunt with all the kids would be wonderful. Maybe next year we can try to be in Ohio around the holiday and Parker's birthday.

Parker's basket will be full of fun things! Cookies and candy, Easter eggs filled with goodies and some money, (I will be getting him a piggy bank for his birthday to start keeping his money in as he gets it) a little chick that hops across the floor, sunglasses, books, a stuffed goat and bunny, a chocolate bunny (of course) coloring pages and some art supplies...and that is just what I have so far! I think that some of it will have to sit around his basket and not so much inside. He was going to get a stuffed Peter Rabbit, but showed no interest in the toy at the store, and I wasn't going to spend $20 on something he doesn't like. Maybe next year.

One of the books he is getting was one of my favorites over 20 years ago! Marshmallow by Clare Turlay Newberry was written in 1943, is the winner of the Caldecott Honor, and is still a classic! 


I talked about it in this weeks edition of Mama Bear's Book Nook if you would like to go and check it out! I could probably easily write another whole blog about it. :0)

I am looking forward to Easter more this year than I have probably any year since I decided I was too old to join the little kids on the yearly Easter Egg hunt. (My mother cried for days, and then cried the entire time I helped them hide eggs...I thought she was crazy, but now think I'll probably do the same when Parker decides he is too old for such "childish things".) Parker is just old enough that I think he will have fun helping Mommy and Daddy search for eggs, and I should get some amazing pictures if the weather cooperates. He's also old enough to enjoy some of a special Easter dinner and desserts! I think it is going to be an amazing day, and would only be better if our family and friends back home could be here too.


We have never yet had Parker's pictures professionally taken. I can think of so many better things to spend our money on! (Like our trip home this Summer!) So, while I did play with the idea of having his pictures taken with live bunnies for Easter, I decided against it and did his pictures myself again. We will be taking him to the mall to get his picture taken with the giant Easter bunny there...it will be interesting to see how that goes...

Thank you for reading!

1 comment:

Katie said...

My kids never had chocolate before they were one either! I get teased because they didn't have juice until they were 18 months either. Be proud for taking such good care of him!

I'm glad you decided not to go with live bunny pictures. Most people don't know this, but all of those bunnies end up dying from all of the touching and stimulation!